Wednesday, November 18, 2009

White fish filets

This was originally a filet de Sol recipe. However, it works with any white fish: Sol, tilapia, cod, or catfish. I'm sure there are others. And no, I don't know why they're called white fish. Anyway, this was the first fish I really started enjoying. And I love it! I have since altered the recipe a tad. This is by far a family favorite. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Ingredients
4-6 filets (approx.)
½ cup flour
1 tbsp Alpine Touch (an all-purpose seasoner like Lawry's. It has onion, garlic, salt and pepper.)
2 tbsp flax seed
2 tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp oil

Combine dry ingredients. Warm oil in saucepan. Dip sol in mixture and fry in oil (I use olive oil or vegetable oil) until browned on each side. It doesn't take very long. It should flake easily with a fork.



I was really pleased with this recipe. This is the first time I've measured the ingredients. Usually I just dump them together and make it. But I've wanted to measure it out so I can share it. The wheat germ is expenable, but I would definitely have the flax seed, as it has a stronger flavor and adds to the taste of the fish. This is another recipe that's easy to edit to your individual tastes. You could easily add other seasonings that are a family favorite. Or you can substitute the Alpine Touch with other all-purpose seasoners, like Lawry's or a Lemon Pepper Seasoning. It's easy to get creative if you want to. And Joseph just loves this recipe and can eat a good size filet all on his own. I think it's the most fish friendly recipe I've ever had if you don't want to feed your kids fish sticks. :)

No comments: